Sunday, May 3, 2009

Pandemic?!?!

Lately there has been a lot of talk on the news about the H1N1 "swine" flu. Schools all around us are shutting down to avoid spreading it, and truthfully I didn't pay much attention to the chaos. I understand that is necessary to report on the subject, but it is crazy that they think that everyone is going to stay quarantined to their homes, and parents that have to work are going to take two weeks off when our country is in a recession. Where do you think all of these children will go if their parents can't take off work? Unfortunately many of them will stay at home unattended, or go to other care facilities that have not closed down, due to the fact that mortgages must be paid and food needs to be put on the table.

My 11 year old son started coughing last night, and woke up with a sore throat, two of the symptoms of H1N1, he coughed all day today and has never run fever. He will stay home tomorrow because I was told that the schools will send them home if he has a persistent cough. Of course they will not consider that he played in the rain Saturday when he was supposed to be hanging out in his friends house and then he went to his brother's soccer game where it continued to rain. Even though I am sure that it is just a cold, I am still checking his temperature around the clock and I will be checking his forehead before I go to sleep. It is one thing to hear about it on the news, but to worry that your child could have it is completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers